The Moon Room

A Community Forum on Guilford College Faculty Life

Clerk’s Committee Agenda for September 28, 2017

September 26th, 2017

Clerk’s Committee Meeting Agenda

Thursday September 28, 2017 8:30 am

  1. Gathering and Moment of Silence — 2 minutes
  2. Figuring out who’s doing the minutes (Kathryn?) — 1 minute
  3. Approval of Minutes from 9/7 — 2 minutes
  4. Approval of Minutes from 9/14 — 2 minutes
  5. Items for follow-up: — 10 minutes
    • Availability of SACS report
    • GUS on Wednesday with classes canceled
    • Reports from Committee Liaisons
  6. Review of Faculty Forum on 9/20 (on potential schedule changes) — 10 minutes
  7. For approval: Proposed new standing committee: Learning Technologies — 5 minutes
  8. For approval: Proposed additional changes to review and appeals process — 10 minutes
  9. For approval: Faculty meeting agenda for 10/4 — 10 minutes

Possible items:

    • Frank Boyd comments
    • Approval: WGSS proposal for changes and stand-alone status
    • Approval: Additional handbook changes for review/appeals
    • Presentation by Learning Technologies ad hoc committee
    • Approval: New standing committee for Learning Technologies
    • Approval: New charge & name for DAC
    • New charge & name for SPOC/IE
    • Policy notes from Arlene Cash (written, for discussion in November)
    • Reminder from Gwen about Committees@Guilford
    • Other items?
  1. For discussion: Committee structure, stipends, and compensation — 10 minutes

Close in silence

 

Clerk’s Committee Minutes – August 31, 2017

September 7th, 2017

Clerk’s Committee Meeting Agenda

Thursday August 31, 2017 8:30 am

Present: Darryl Samsell, Kathryn Shields, Dave Dobson, Donald Smith, Jill Peterfeso, Eva Lawrence, Alfonso Abad Mancheño (recording)

  1. Gathering and Moment of Silence 2 minutes
  2. Figuring out who’s doing the minutes (Alfonso) 1 minute
  3. Approval of Minutes from August 24 2 minutes
  4. Minutes approved.
  5. Status Report: Large-scale faculty handbook revision 5 minutes
  6. There are changes to the document from Beth, Dave is going to look at the changes, we should have the changes ready before FAC starts. Dave will work with Frank and will send the changes to Clerk’s and will work from there so that we have time to get it ready to the meeting. The goal is to have the new draft by the October meeting.
  7. For approval: WGSS Proposal 20 minutes

It has been approved by Curriculum. There was reluctance for Interdisciplinary majors to be mandatory double majors. The issues discussed in the meeting were:  the many inconsistencies between the catalog and the practice, and in between majors. E.g. International Studies was not approved as a stand alone major in 2015. One question raised is: Would it be housed in a Dept.? or can it moved depending on coordinator? Also, that there is no clear criteria to approve it at the Clerk’s Committee, and what  the criteria for approval in Faculty Meeting is. In the catalog it says that ID majors must be linked to another major.  Other issues: Staffing issues are not clear in the description of the major. We also want to encourage faculty to be creative and propose new programs and avoid the PECS situation.  

Conclusion: We want to follow newer models of stand alone majors mostly housed in departments and sustained by a department.

  1. For approval: Handbook revisions for review process and appeals 25 minutes

We will take it to the Faculty.

  1. For approval: Faculty Meeting Agenda for September 6 10 minutes

Possible topics:

  • Dean’s Report (5 minutes)
  • For information: Counseling center
  • For information: IDEA design team
  • For information: New faculty meal tickets (we will ask Todd some questions)
  • For information: Faculty development funds and initiatives
  • For approval: WGSS Proposal (in October)
  • For approval: Revisions for review process and appeals
  • For discussion: Gen ed revision:
  • For approval: Large-scale handbook revisions

Announcements:

  • Follies on Friday October 27
  • Link Harris Teeter for ECG

Close in silence

 

Clerk’s Committee Minutes, August 24, 2017

September 5th, 2017

Guilford College

Clerk’s Committee Meeting

August 24, 2017

Attending were Frank Boyd, Dave Dobson (Clerk), Eva Lawrence (minute taker), Alfonso Abad Mancheño, Jill Peterfeso, Kathryn Shields, Darryl Samsell, and Don Smith

  1. The committee gathered with a moment of silence.
  2. Clerk’s committee Discussed confidentiality of the discussions in Clerk’s committee. Agreed that Clerk’s discussions are not confidential unless otherwise specified, although comments by individual members of Clerk’s should not be disclosed.
  3. Nov. 1st Faculty Forum. We approved the Nov 1st faculty forum for QEP/UDL.
  4. Improving Faculty Dialogue. Discussed strategies for the Academic Dean to communicate with faculty:
  • Set up meetings with departments or groups of departments, perhaps purposely grouped across types of disciplines (e.g., not group all the natural sciences together).
  • Allot about 10 minutes at each faculty meeting for the Dean.
  • Faculty lunch is an important informal mechanism.
  • Read and be aware of conversations on the Moon Room, but do not post comments (rather, clarify issues in face-to-face formats)
  • The importance of ongoing communication between the faculty and Dean was emphasized.
  1. Faculty Handbook Revision. The previous Academic Dean had undertaken a large scale revision of the handbook, including adding new policies that had been approved (such as the revisions to the tenure and promotion process), removing outdated policies (such as the phone tree for emergencies), and updating or clarifying language of the handbook.

Next steps: Dave will create a document that highlights these changes, that he will share first with Clerk’s and then a final version will be shared with faculty. We agreed that the updated handbook will come up for approval at the first faculty meeting on September 6th.

  1. Faculty Review Process and Appeals. There are inconsistencies in the current handbook regarding how decisions are made, and Clerk’s agreed with the following processes:

Review process:

  • If there is any disagreement between FAC, the Academic Dean, and President, then it goes to the Board of Trustees for the final decision.
  • If there is unanimity for a positive review across the FAC, Dean, and President, then it goes to the Board of Trustees for the final decision.
  • If there is unanimity for a negative review across the FAC, Dean, and President, then it does not go to the Board of Trustees.

Appeals process:

  • Decisions from the appeals committee will go to the Dean, the President, the FAC, the person who filed the appeal, and the Board of Trustees.
  • The Board of Trustees will make the final decision.

Next step: Dave and Frank will work on revisions to the handbook to share with Clerk’s.

  1. Results of survey on General Education revision. The survey did not reveal any consensus on the general education curriculum. Clerk’s agreed to hold off discussions about revising the general education curriculum. However, some misperceptions about the process need to be addressed (e.g., dispelling rumors that the administration is going to change the general education curriculum without faculty approval, and perhaps clarifying the connection, or lack of connection, between the general education curriculum and enrollment). Additionally, we discussed the need to talk about the larger vision of the College and the need to build, or rebuild, a sense of spirit and community among faculty.  
  2. The meeting closed at 9:57.

 

Agenda for Clerk’s Committee Meeting September 7, 2017

September 5th, 2017

Clerk’s Committee Meeting Agenda

Thursday September 7, 2017 8:30 am


  1. Gathering and Moment of Silence – 2 minutes
  2. Figuring out who’s doing the minutes (Jill?) – 1 minute
  3. Approval of Minutes from August 31 – 2 minutes
  4. Set up committee liaisons – 5 minutes
  5. Review of faculty meeting September 6 – 10 minutes
  6. For discussion: Possible extension on promotion applications – 5 minutes
  7. For discussion: Request to move GUS (to Wed. 4/18) and cancel classes – 5 minutes
  8. For discussion: Possible forum topics for September 20 – 5 minutes
  9. For discussion: Preparing for review of study leave proposals – 5 minutes
  10. For discussion: Next steps on curriculum revision – 10 minutes
  11. For discussion: Clerk’s Committee priorities for the year – 10 minutes

Close in silence

Open discussion area for Faculty Meeting on September 6, 2017

September 5th, 2017

Please add any comments or questions you have regarding topics at the Faculty Meeting on September 6, 2017. You may post anonymously.

Comment cards left at the meeting:

 

  • Can we hear what is the status of the QEP?
  • Could we get a report on our budget status and projections?

For the faculty website:
Something that might be useful:
A place/location/subheading/etc where we can alert/ask our colleagues to assist us in getting the word out about upcoming programming events that have educational objectives. (e.g. a panel, guest speaker, etc.).
Why: The BUZZ is inadequate.
Thanks for considering this.

The Moon Room

A Community Forum on Guilford College Faculty Life